APPLICATION DOCUMENTS | US VISA | ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA & REQUIREMENTS | FUNDING | APPLICATION PROCESS
Application Materials and Information
It is our hope that trainees leave the Pacific Desk with an greater knowledge, skills and abilities regarding regional weather forecast processes, networks and available resources. Trainees will become knowledgeable about observational and forecast tools and systems within the region and are encouraged to exercise their enhanced knowledge, skills and abilities when they return to their host countries and institutional environments.
Application Package [Click to Download]
Application Checklist [General-Checklist-2016]
2019 Training Schedule [PDF]
2017 Training Schedule [PDF]
2016 Training Schedule [PDF]
2015 Training Schedule [PDF]
2014 Training Schedule [PDF]
US Visa Entry Information
Participants are required to work with their Office/Ministry/Department of Foreign Affairs or High Commission to process their US entry visa. The Pacific Desk will provide support documentation for those who require a visa to travel to the United States.
US Visa Applications should be completed online: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Step 1: Pay the visa application fee.
Print your deposit slip and take the form to the Post Office or a Western Union location. This slip is required to process the visa application fee.[/li]
Step 2: Upon approval of the DS-160 application, applicants need to visit this website to book online individual appointments: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ To schedule your appointment, you will need three pieces of information:
- Your passport number
- The Receipt Number appearing on your receipt or the 10-digit MTCN number appearing on your Western Union Pay Quick Form. (Click here if you need help finding either of these numbers.)
- The ten (10) digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page
If you are still experiencing problems, please contact our call center:
- Contact Centre Number: 00800 2552 +(679) 995 9643 (This is available within Fiji and outside of Fiji)
- Contact Centre Hours of operation: 9.00am – 6.00pm
- Email Helpline: email@example.com
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a citizen of one of the following Pacific Island Countries: Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna.
- Must be able to obtain a US entry visa
- Must be officially nominated and approved by their home meteorological organization/office.
- Applicants will be expected to have a fluent level of English.
- Must have some training and experience in weather observation.
- Limited (one year or less) experience in weather forecasting.
- Training is geared towards non-Scientific Officers (observers, met technicians, etc.)
- Training is not for Scientific Officers (forecasters) who have gone through advanced training or long-term meteorology courses (such as the Melbourne BoM), but for senior observers and non-scientific officers who might want to be forecasters
- Written explanation may be provided for consideration for justification of any deviation from the above criteria.
If you are accepted into the program, the Pacific Desk, with funding support from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Weather Service International Activities Office will fund the costs associated with your travel. It will also fund all costs associated with delivering and administering the program.
You must submit the documents below to apply for the program.
Nomination Letter or Email from Supervisor – Your Government/Manager/Supervisor plays a critical role in ensuring you have time to complete assignments and support to attend the training. The participant must be nominated to attend the Pacific Desk On-Site Training Program. The participant obtains an official letter or email from their supervisor or manager confirming their nomination to attend the Pacific Desk Training.
Complete Registration and Questionnaire Form – Download and complete the Registration and Questionnaire Form from the Pacific Desk website: http://pacificdesk.org. Forms may also be requested via email firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at +1 808-956-8019 or by phone at +1 808-956-9557
Curriculum Vitae or Resume – Submit a resume that includes your formal education, professional positions and other applicable activities. Make sure to include your complete contact information with current mailing address, telephone numbers and email address. Use a format of your choice but do not exceed two pages.
Personal Biography – Provide a brief (half page, single spaced) personal biography that is suitable for public release.
Passport or Travel Document – Provide a copy of your current valid passport.
The admission screening will consist of representatives from the Pacific Desk. The final selection team will be comprised of representatives from the Pacific Desk, NOAA/NWS and other partnering organizations. The team will strive to create a cohort that appropriately represents the governments, technical areas, gender and ethnicity. You will be notified of your admission status via email.
Final Applications should be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to +1 808-956-8019 or sent by postal mail to:
Pacific Desk Applications
2424 Maile Way, Saunders 713
Honolulu, HI 96822
Submission email or fax cover page should be titled “Pacific Desk Application”.